The Vault Game
Buried deep underneath Bedford Town Centre lays a Vault— home to fortune yet long forgotten, until now! Discover key landmarks on Bedford High Street and uncover Bedford’s hidden history to have a chance of cracking The Vault.
The Vault Game is an interactive puzzle that explores key landmarks and invites viewers to learn about the high street in a fun and interactive way. The game is based on a local urban myth that a bank vault is still buried underneath the site of the old bank. In 2021, Bedford Creative Arts commissioned Julian Beever, a world-renowned illusion artist, to create an illusionary 3D artwork at the site of the Old Bank in Bedford.
We worked with digital artist Clemence Debaig and her team of designers, in partnership with Bedford College and their students to create The Vault Game. The Vault Game invites users to explore key landmarks on Bedford High Street by uncovering clues and solving mysteries about Bedford High Street. To complete the game, users must collect all clues and return to The Vault.
Students from Bedford College will collect stories from residents and archives to populate the game with clues.
How to play
- Visit The Vault mural at St Paul’s Square. Bedford, MK40 1AN, and scan the QR to load The Vault Game in your web browser. No need to download any apps – only a working internet connection is required!
- Stand back from the mural, using the foot-shaped silhouettes as your guide and watch the Vault come to life
- You will be prompted to collect clues for the Vault combination by visiting Bedford’s High Street and solving riddles.
- Once you have solved these puzzling questions, return to the mural to enter your answers to discover what gems lie beneath…
- Tag us on social media for your chance to win a £25 Bedford High Street voucher!
This project is funded by Historic England’s High Street Heritage Action Zone